DIY Chicken Jerky Treats

8:22:00 AM


I'm always on the hunt for healthy treats to feed my crew. We do our best to stick with wholesome options that use quality ingredients. Instead of buying bags of pricey, processed snacks, I've been making chicken jerky at home.  Not only do my dogs go crazy for them, they're also ridiculously easy to make.


Ingredients: Chicken Breast
Start by partially freezing the chicken breast for easier slicing. 
**Thawing an already frozen piece is not the same thing. The outer layers will thaw out first and the inside will still be too frozen to cut. I learned that the hard way. **
Preheat oven to 250°F
Get rid of as much of the fat as possible. Create thin, even slices and lay out on a tray with parchment paper. The thinner the slices, the easier it is to dry.  Use a paper towel and pat off any excess moisture.
 Stick it in the oven for around 3 and half hours. For crispier jerky, leave it in for a bit longer.
 
 
Once the chicken has dried, it can be stored in an air tight container for several days. 

The dogs followed me around while I took these pictures. They all put on their best puppy eyes while licking their lips in anticipation.

You can't beat healthy, delicious, and cheap!
 
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great idea!!!
    btw your dog is so adorable!!!
    https://creativistics.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool idea!! I want a dog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Dogs really are fantastic companions :)

      Delete